Valence Health has been helping provider organizations prepare for, and ultimately accept and manage, various value-based payment models – from shared risk programs, to full capitation to provider-sponsored health plans – for nearly 20 years. Founded on a vision of empowering providers to be in charge clinically and financially, our mission evolved to “be indispensable in assisting providers to better manage their patient populations and accept financial responsibility for the quality of care they provide.”
Over the years, we combined all the necessary actuarial analyses, clinical integration and population health technology, and ongoing management services for provider organizations to make the volume-to-value transition successfully. We’re proud to count leading institutions among our clients and almost half of the nation’s free standing children’s hospitals at one time or another.
- 1990: Founders Phil Kamp and Todd Stockard meet at international audit firm Coopers & Lybrand, where they and other original Valence Health employees work to assist providers in structuring what were then called “risk-based” arrangements
- 1996: Phil and Todd start “NextStage Provider Solutions”, focusing on data and analytics to empower proper assumption of risk arrangements
- 1998: vQuest, a software module focused on cost and utilization analytics, is launched.
- 2000: After 4 successful years of steady growth, the company is renamed Valence Health.
- 2001: Valence Health passes 100 employees
- 2002: Valence Health moves HQ to 600 W Jackson, where it still resides today
- 2002: Launch of health plan services to support provider-sponsored plans and "risk-based" payment models.
- 2004: vElect, a software solution for the adminsitration of payer contrcts for IPAs, is launched
- 2005: Valence Health processes 1 millionth claim
- 2009: Introduction of the Vision software platform for population health and clinical integration. Within first 12 months, 1 million patients’ information is available to participating physicians.
- 2010: Valence Health processes 5 millionth claim
- 2012: Introduction of the second generation of Vision platform, with a new user interface and even more robust management features.
- 2012: Valence secures investment of $30 million from North Bridge.
- 2013: Valence Health processes 10 millionth claim
- 2013: A new visual identity for the company is introduced
- 2013: Vision 3.0 is made available to clients
About Our Name
In chemistry, Valence refers to the combining capacity of an atom or the ability of a substance to interact with another to produce an effect. We chose the name Valence Health because we are a catalyst for change - challenging ineffective health care practices and combining with others to establish new ones. Collaboration, after all, is healthy. Everyone benefits. Information flows. Risk abates. Providers thrive. Patients improve.